The Museum occupies two buildings which date back to 1728. These were originally the Rabbi’s residence and the “Bath-house”. When the “Mikvah” or Ritual Bath fell into disuse in the middle of the 19th century, the buildings were sold and for many years occupied by non-Jews. During their recent restoration by the Curaçao Foundation for the Preservation of Monuments, the “Mikvah”, lost for generations, was sought . . . and uncovered! It is now the first thing which draws the visitor’s attention as he enters the Museum’s patio.